Not in any particular order.
- Train. You can’t wing one. You can wing a 5k or ½ marathon or even a full marathon. But you can’t wing a triathlon, no matter the distance.
- Sleep. They are probably harder to do when you don’t get any sleep. Probably.
- Hydrate. Drink something before the race or you might become light headed during the bike ride.
- Ocean water does not count. Drinking a gallon of this may have the reverse effect.
- After drinking ocean water, drink water. Gatorade is bottled ocean water. If you drink Gatorade, you’ll still need to drink more water.
- Don’t cramp. It hurts and slows you down.
- Refuel. Eat something, like a banana or carbo load the night before. You’ll need a lot of energy.
- You can’t buy speed.* An expensive bike won’t make you faster if avoid 1-7.
- Proverbs 16:18
- Learn to swim efficiently. Races can’t be won by swimming alone, but can be loss if you get stuck wading in the water for 10 minutes and then floating on your back because you’re too tired.
- Open water swim is to pool swim as running is to treadmill running.
- Prepare all your gear a few hours before bedtime. See no. 2.
- They should take swimming out and add football.
- It takes a few days to recover. It still hurts.
*However you can obtain it illegally, in pill form.